How To: Achieve Your New Years Resolution + My 2016 Resolution?

By 18:00

New Year New Me? Sounds like a load of bullshit.

My classmate from Math would often say that, and I can't help but agree. Within the last minute of December 31st, you suddenly feel like a new person.

A monumental period has arrived! Oh my god! I should be a new, better, improved person by completing these (include an infinite list of unrealistic claims) goals, so when I look back I'm going to be so proud that 2016 was my year!

 Don't worry. It happens to the best of us. Now I've mostly disagreed with the potential outcome of new year resolutions. The fail rate of such a concept is enormous. After all, the disappointment two minutes in 2016 when you vehemently grab that bag of chips (effectively breaking that resolution where you wanted to be stop eating junk food) has been confronted so many times it's exhausting, so I've just given up on the whole damn thing.
It was only until the start of this year, when my Business Studies teacher bought up a useful formula.

SMART.

S= Specific
M= Measurable
A= Attainable
R= Relevant
T= Time Based
 
SMART is supposed to be a formula to not only determine your goal, but how you will go about achieving it, basically splitting it into manageable steps. Let's go through this with an example: one of my resolutions.

My resolution is to study hard and get a good ATAR this year. But that's not specific enough, so I could narrow down to passing most my tests and in turn, get a good ATAR, around the 80's to 90's range. Narrowing it down, I could make mini goals that can eventually lead to achieving this goal, such as:
- having a study date with myself or friends at least once a week
- do review questions once a week in each subject
- write a mock essay twice a week etc.
 
By splitting your resolution and making specific tasks out of it can enable you to break it down and increase the 'achieveableness' of the goal. You will know exactly what to do to work towards it, and that is definitely better.

Goals have to be measurable- so it can increase motivation, show improvements and progression. Whatever way (journal, spreadsheet, etc) your results need to be written down. For example:
- I could make my test results into a spread sheet
-Note down comments of teachers on my mock essays/tests and practise- and spot any improvements on my next assessment task (therefore removing/adding in strategies that don't help/help with my writing)
- I could time myself each week and see how much I can write, etc.

This is a question you have to ask yourself. Is this goal reachable? This can be solved by increasing/decreasing the amount of time to achieve it, and to match it more to your lifestyle. A fine example would be studying and reaching a ATAR in the 80-90's, because my current test results state that it's achievable, all I need is a little bit of work. However don't make it totally far out. An example of how you can't go about this is hoping for 90+ when all your results state are in the 30's and 40's, especially when you're mid year in the semester.  Make sure you construct an aim you CAN meet, and if you find that you can after it, you may choose to heighten the difficulty of the goal according to YOUR NEEDS.
 
Another thing that can also be examined is your current resources and location. If you were planning to study at the library continuously, but your closest library is too far, try to improve your study space at home to achieve your goal. Money might also be an issue, so try borrowing textbooks instead of buying them. You might even want to get a summer job to fulfil these costs!

I've always seen the 'R' as realistic, but relevant can also work. How important the resolution is and whether it is practical or not can make or break it. For example, if I wanted to get a high ATAR because I want to meet my parents' expectations, that is not good enough. Make a list of reasons why this goal is relevant TO YOU and stick it on your wall as a constant reminder on why you want to do this. Examples are:
- I will feel good that I have accomplished something
- I can get into this course I've always wanted
- I can leave high school knowing that I've left nothing unchecked, etc.
 
It also has to be practical. Very similar to the 'attainable' section, ensure that your goal is realistic, if you want to get a great overall mark on your final exams, 20 days to accomplish this will not work out.

 

 Time is important. After all, time is money! If you are working on a goal that will need to spare a lot of time, make sure you have a recording system that can fulfil that. Example could be owning a hard cover journal if the goal needs a year or several months. Time based can also mean being flexible with time- creating deadlines on small tasks (such as essays to be completed in a specific realistic timeslot) and making sure things are completed on time, so your goal can be reached within the time limit of your main resolution.
 
And that is it! Hoped you liked my tips on how to turn those resolutions into reality love. Here are my other resolutions that aren't my main focus, but things I've been working towards.
- Trying new things
- Eating healthier
- Working out.
 
What are your new year resolutions?

 

You Might Also Like

0 comments